In all, Fort Knox has more than 40 units, commands and organizations. While each has a different mission, Fort Knox’s slogan “Strength Starts Here,” captures a common thread and connects the Army post under a common purpose and pride.
For more than seven decades Fort Knox served as the Army’s premier armor training post. However, as part of BRAC, Fort Knox’s Armor Center relocated to Fort Benning, Ga., to merge with the Infantry Center and form the Maneuver Center of Excellence. In addition, the Armor School is relocating to Fort Benning and, as with the Infantry School, will be subordinate to the MCoE.
Originally an artillery training base, Camp Knox was chosen as headquarters for the Mechanized Cavalry in 1931. The 1st Cavalry Regiment, the Army’s oldest mounted unit, marked the establishment of the new program in January 1932 by exchanging its horses for armored combat cars.
With the outbreak of World War II in Europe, the American Army prepared with the creation of the Armored Force. Fort Knox was selected as the armor headquarters beginning in the summer of 1940 which was responsible for establishing armored formations, doctrine, and training in the use of armored vehicles. For the next seven decades, armored training and tactics remained the primary mission of Fort Knox.
In 1957, the Army established the Armor Center and School at Fort Knox with the responsibility for training the current mounted force, as well as developing the tools for future mounted forces. The Army Armor Center maintained that mission and was the senior command on Fort Knox until May 2010.
3rd BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM, 1st INFANTRY DIVISION
The 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, called the “Duke Brigade,” is a self-sufficient light infantry brigade composed of six battalions and about 3,500 Soldiers that stand ready to deploy and carry out full spectrum operations.
The 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division has established a proud heritage. Since it was activated on May 24, 1917 as the 1st Expeditionary Division, its Soldiers have served valiantly in World War I, World War II, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan.
The 3/1 IBCT is comprised of the following:
• 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment – “Blue Spaders”
• 2nd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment – “Ramrods”
• 6th Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment – “Raiders”
• 1st Battalion, 6th Field Artillery Regiment – “Centaurs”
• 201st Brigade Support Battalion – “Valiant Warriors”
3rd SUSTAINMENT COMMAND (EXPEDITIONARY)
The 3rd ESC has a proud history of deploying to provide command and control, sustainment and distribution management anywhere, at any time, in any environment, against any adversary. From Japan, Korea, Germany, Iraq, Haiti and beyond, the 3rd Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) provides logistics command and control for the theater commander supporting the Army Forces or Combined Joint Task Force mission.
Its Soldiers enable the force to support high levels of combat over the duration of major operations. The ESC’s battlefield support facilitates the commander’s ability to generate combat power at the decisive time and place. When it is not deployed, the ESC supports Army Force Generation by providing training and readiness oversight of 7th Sustainment Brigade at Fort Eustis, 49th Quartermaster Group at Fort Lee, and 233rd Transportation Company at Fort Knox.
233RD TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
The 233rd Transportation Company consists of two platoons, equipped with 24 M1070 Heavy Equipment Transporters designed to carry combat-loaded main battle tanks and other heavy tracked and wheeled vehicles to and from the battlefield.
Its primary mission is to deploy as separate Forces Command detachments in support of worldwide contingency missions. As part of this mission, it provides combat heavy equipment transportation support to forward deployed armored and mechanized divisions. Its mission at Fort Knox includes providing heavy equipment support for the 3rd ESC, fellow FORSCOM units and the installation in general.
4th CAVALRY BRIGADE, 1st ARMY DIVISION EAST
The 4th Cavalry Brigade, First Army Division East, is a multi-component training brigade. Its mission is to train Soldiers and units for sustained combat operations. Although the brigade headquarters and many subordinate battalions are located at Fort Knox, Ky., the Saber Brigade trains Soldiers throughout the continental United States. It is comprised of six subordinate battalions as well as the brigade headquarters and headquarters detachment. The vast majority of Soldiers assigned to the brigade serve as observer/trainers, with the primary mission to deploy to the training site and coach, teach, and mentor individual Soldiers and units prior to and/or during mobilization.
The Brigade is made up of Soldiers from the active component, the Army Reserve, the Army National Guard and from the Operation Warrior Trainer Program (from re-deploying Army National Guard and Army Reserve Units). The six subordinate battalions include a cavalry squadron, an artillery battalion, two combat service support battalions, one engineer battalion, and one logistics support battalion. Almost all military occupation specialties are represented in the brigade.
The Saber Brigade does not differentiate between components; all serving with this brigade are Soldiers, adhering to the Army standards.
The Saber Brigade conducts numerous and diverse missions. The missions include organizing and training on individual training tasks, lanes training, collective unit lanes training, observer/trainer mentor (embedded trainer), and unit mobilization assistor duties. Key individual training tasks include training and administering the Warrior training tasks and theater specific individual readiness training to insure individual Soldier proficiency.
19th ENGINEER BATTALION
The 19th Engineer Battalion was activated October 16, 2005 at Fort Knox, Ky., as a newly organized modular Engineer Battalion, capable of commanding any type of Engineer organization from Sappers to Construction Effects. The battalion has since deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (2006-2007) and Operation Enduring Freedom (2009-2010).
Currently, the 19th Engineer Battalion consists of a Headquarters and Headquarters Company, and an organic Forward Support Company. Also assigned to the 19th Engineer Battalion at Fort Knox are the 15th Engineer Company (Horizontal), 76th Engineer Company (Vertical), 502nd Multi Role Bridge Company, 72nd Survey and Design Detachment, and the 538th Concrete Detachment.
The mission of the 19th Engineer Battalion is to increase the combat effectiveness of the support brigades or engineer brigades at corps and division level by accomplishing mobility, counter mobility, survivability, and general engineering tasks. Additionally, the 19th performs combat missions in the role of infantry, when required, and participates in joint military operations.
113th ARMY BAND
The Dragoons is one of the oldest and most decorated units on Fort Knox. It was organized in July 1840 as the Band, 1st Regiment of Dragoons, and is currently the second oldest active Army band in existence. The band has been credited with 25 campaign streamers from the Indian and Civil Wars through World War II.
The Dragoons represent the Accessions Support Brigade and Fort Knox at on-post activities and parades, and perform concerts and appearances throughout Kentucky and neighboring states. Highlighting the band’s schedule is its annual playing of the national anthem at Churchill Downs before the running of the Kentucky Derby. Television audiences throughout the United States and the world see the band as it performs.
703d ORDNANCE COMPANY (EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL)
The 703d Ordnance Company (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) is a Forces Command unit assigned to Fort Knox. It provides explosive ordnance support to Fort Knox and surrounding communities primarily in response to reports of unexploded ordnance.
In addition, it responds to improvised explosive devices, provides support to the United States Secret Service and, on order, deploys to overseas contingency operations in support of combatant commanders wherever needed.
DLA DOCUMENT SERVICES
The DLA Document Services provides document automation products and services to the Department of Defense and designated federal activities, including printing and conversion of documents to electronic media, digital warehousing, and distribution of digital and hardcopy information. It is the single manager for all DoD printing and duplicating. DLA Document Services is also the executive agent for the DoD specifications and standards program and the designated focal point for document conversion technology.
MISSION AND INSTALLATION CONTRACTING COMMAND CENTER
The Mission and Installation Contracting Command (MICC) Center Fort Knox serves as the Army Contracting Command’s mechanism for supported customers. As such, it is engaged in the performance of acquisition planning, market research, contract pricing, procurement, contract administration, management, and associated support programs to ensure timely accomplishment of assigned missions to meet the unique and special needs of the Army.
Areas of emphasis include contracting for construction, supplies, and services; liaison with post organizations to ensure proper acquisition coordination; serving as program coordinator for the Government Purchase Card; and serving as the Command’s representative in all dealings with suppliers and contractors.
NETWORK ENTERPRISE CENTER (NEC)
Fort Knox Network Enterprise Center (NEC) provides command, control, communications, computers, and information management (C4IM) services for Fort Knox. It also provides information assurance (IA), and computer network defense (CND) for its portion of the Western Region LandWarNet (LWN) known as the Fort Knox Installation Campus Area Network (FKICAN) within the continental U.S. The Network Enterprise Center also supports operating and generating forces engaged in full spectrum operations enhancing battle command through the transparent delivery of LWN capabilities.